Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Squirrel

I was sitting on my couch eating my customary supper, a huge salad, when I noticed my squirrel friend watching me. He sat and watched me for a little while. Then he climbed down the post and immediately came back with some elm seeds which he munched on. Every once in a while he would go back down the post to get himself some more seeds. Then would sit there eating them, pensively looking at me. It seemed to me as if we were sharing a peaceful meal together.

When I was finished I noticed that he was still going down to get seeds and eating them. I thought that his food wasn’t concentrated enough for him so I took some hulled sunflower and pumpkin seeds out and left them for him on his post. Soon he and all of his many relatives were quarreling over those seeds. I figured I could have fed all of his relatives but then would it be good for them to have such an easy source of calories? I reasoned that it probably wouldn’t be; it’s not so good for us, after all. I decided to get him some “critter food” next time I go to the grocery store.

No comments: